I decided to see how hard it would be to hook my Random Level Generator to ActionRPG. I had it going in under an hour. I’m shocked at my own efficiency:
So yeah, there you have it. For the first four levels under the church, I’m randomly generating rooms and filling them with a crapload of entities. I found the levels to be too small at 32×32 so I jacked them up to 64×64. I’m not sure if thats too big or what, I’ll have to playtest a bit more before I can really tell. I’ll probably drop back to 48×48 if I find it’s too big the way it is now.
A few additional changes that may not be readily apparent:
– The stats panel in the upper left is now shortened until you open the inventory.
– The player can now move on diagonals. You couldn’t get him through doors unless you had a wall to line him up, before.
– Doors are available as a tile used in the random generation, though they act as floor tiles right now.
– Randomizer uses constant seed system now. Great for saving games with.
There’s still a ton to do, I’d really like to try out the Cellular Automata Method for the Caves. I think it will yield very good results. I’ll be doing it in the Level Generator project before I move it in here. That testbed was a super-great idea. I’m so smart.