I’ve been digging around and considering my options, and it looks like I’m going to be able to rebuild ActionRPG with a very minimal amount of work. Most of the code I had can be moved around and be easily refit into XNA’s game framework.
One of the things I was worried most about, was using SpriteBatch to draw tilemaps with. Back when I was building the first iterations of the game, I was having trouble with framerate when using SpriteBatch; I then picked up my MDX book and learned how to use VertexBuffers and got my framerate back to something reasonable again. Well all of the tilemap methods I could google were all using SpriteBatch!
Just for fun, I went back and looked into my old versions that still had the VertexBuffer <-> SpriteBatch drawing toggle, and checked it out again. There was no difference! I realized that since then I’ve gotten a new computer and upgraded it somewhat, so I’m going to guess that’s the reason. (On top of that, I saw in the code that I wasn’t culling offscreen tiles during draw: naughty me!)
So I guess that’s what’s on the agenda right now. I’m actually pretty happy to get back into my code again. The best thing about all of this is that when I’m done, I’ll have something that I should be able to port to the Xbox 360! That’s cool.