Posts Tagged ‘MDX’

Steady progress on ActionRPG

February 13, 2009

I’ve been plugging at it and I’m pretty confident about getting caught up soon. I’ve gotten things cleaned up in my code base better, and XNA has solved a few of my previous issues with MDX for me. One little problem I don’t know how to solve yet:

ActionRPG tile edge problem

ActionRPG tile edge problem

I don’t know how to get rid of the lines between tiles on my map. I know why they’re there, but I don’t have a simple solution to it at the moment. I don’t want to make 2×2 patches for every tile, that’ll quadruple my tilesheet sizes. I’ll be satisfied to turn off the antialiasing for now, but I’m thinking I’ll need to render the tilemap to an offscreen buffer and blit that somehow. Not sure how to do that yet.

Next I’ll be adding in the sword attacking again, but I’ve built a small prototype program in Allegro/C++ that I used to try a sword sweeping motion. I liked it, and I’ll be putting that in directly. Also in the testbed was a missile shooting test that I’m going to need to definitely get input on. I’d like to use it for most of the directed/placed spells as well, and I think it’s an ok method. If you’ve played Children of Mana or Crystal Chronicles, you’ll have an idea of what I want to do.

[update]
Tried a few things including SamplerStates fiddling (thanks Blecki, Jolle, X-0ut, gustav, DrPetter, and anyone else I missed over at #ludumdare). Found the best solution was to render the scene to a 1:1 destination and then stretch the thing out, using a manually created RenderTarget. I like the texture sampling, I just wanted to get rid of my bleeding/seaming issue.

ActionRPG, XNA style

February 4, 2009

I’ve been digging around and considering my options, and it looks like I’m going to be able to rebuild ActionRPG with a very minimal amount of work. Most of the code I had can be moved around and be easily refit into XNA’s game framework.

One of the things I was worried most about, was using SpriteBatch to draw tilemaps with. Back when I was building the first iterations of the game, I was having trouble with framerate when using SpriteBatch; I then picked up my MDX book and learned how to use VertexBuffers and got my framerate back to something reasonable again. Well all of the tilemap methods I could google were all using SpriteBatch!

Just for fun, I went back and looked into my old versions that still had the VertexBuffer <-> SpriteBatch drawing toggle, and checked it out again. There was no difference! I realized that since then I’ve gotten a new computer and upgraded it somewhat, so I’m going to guess that’s the reason. (On top of that, I saw in the code that I wasn’t culling offscreen tiles during draw: naughty me!)

So I guess that’s what’s on the agenda right now. I’m actually pretty happy to get back into my code again. The best thing about all of this is that when I’m done, I’ll have something that I should be able to port to the Xbox 360! That’s cool.